MySpankingForum.com  

Go Back   myspankingforum.com Forums > Forum List > Main Forum

Old 12-20-2006, 10:20 AM

Who is Responsible?

This kinda was inspired from some rabbits of thought that ran in different directions from the safeword thread....

The question: Who has what degree of responsibility in a play scenario?

Expansion : Obviously, both parties should have equal repsonsibility beforehand in communicating with one another about preferences, etc.

But in the actual spanking session itself, when the bottom is in her most vulnerable state and many times affected by emotions, chemicals, etc (such as in subspace) -- who should have the most responsibility at this time in ensuring that everything is kosher? Should the responsibility necessarily be equal at this time?

I will give my answer after reading others.

sarah
Old 12-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Evan

Much of the pleasure of submission, I think, comes from being relieved of responsibility. Get together with someone you trust; surrender authority to them, surrender responsibility to them, enjoy.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:56 AM

It's a fine line. There have been times when a spankee is pushed past her limits because she didn't safeword, either because she didn't think it was appropriate or because she was too far gone into subspace to do so. Does it then become the spanker's "fault"? Questions like this usually boil down to "Who's to blame when a scene doesn't go well?"
Old 12-20-2006, 01:38 PM

I am always going to err on the side of caution. I am very careful not to overdo it or to actually hurt a woman. I think a spanking should produce a delicious sting, not serious pain.

I don't know if this will make sense or not, but there lies a personal confict that I have with spanking. As much I as I find spanking to be very erotic, at the same time I am totally appalled and disgusted at any type of violence towards women. Now I am not trying to imply that spanking is violence, we all know if it is applied in a responsible matter, then that's certainly not the case. But I feel that deep down inside, somewhere deep within my psyche, I have issues with hitting a woman on any level. So when I spank, I always try to make conscious effort to apply one that is erotic without being anymore painful than necessary.

I also am a huge fan of female/female spanking in videos, literature, movies, etc. Part of that is because I don't like for another man to intrude on my fantasy. But I believe that another part of that is due largley to the fact that I have psychological issues with men striking women. However, women spanking other women sort of lets me off the hook in that regard and alllows me to resolve those issues to some degree. I know all of this may sound weird for someone who has had a spanking fetish for most of their life, but that's just how I feel personally.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:57 PM

Jackie's on the right track. NONE of us (At least I HOPE none of us) considers this "violence". Spanking is how we show love and affection, even when it's hard or disciplinary. Nelson Mandela once said "True love comes not from the closed fist but from the open hand". Welll..... Seriously, though, spanking is NOT violence the way we do it, and I would hope even the harshest spankings we dish out reflect that.

I also agree with Jackie's assessment of F/F videos. As much as I enjoy videos, I have a hard time watching other guys do something I'd rather do myself. Call it jealousy, call it being greedy By the same token, most spankees I know will tell you that "Mommy" ALWAYS hits harder than "Daddy".
Old 12-20-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVelvet007 View Post
Does it then become the spanker's "fault"? Questions like this usually boil down to "Who's to blame when a scene doesn't go well?"
My intent is not to finger point, per se, but to encourage a discussion on topics related to our preferential activity .

During a 'scene gone bad', a breakdown of communication is happening, or has happened, for whatever reason it has and the fact is --- vulnerability and high emotions and chemical alterations in the body will and do factor into that. This can and does cause people to lose a real perspective on what may be happening. Due to the nature of the scene and what it requires of both parties should be, IMO, looked at from every angle to prevent a 'scene gone bad'.

Evan, I agree with you. I have "let go" with RG -- but we play in group situations as well and complete and total knowledge of one another is not always possible.

At a successful meet that RG and I usually host each year, the Tops who spank bottoms who they do not know well actually take it upon themselves and make it a point to periodically lean and whisper in the bottom's ear, "is everything alright still?' --- and the girl's are good about speaking up. They don't wait, so to speak, until there is a sign that perhaps the question may be needed.

I guess this is the kind of responsibility I am talking about. Should a Top just spank away, assuming everything is ok, unless the bottom shows obvious signs of distress, or until a blatant safeword is uttered? Or is it his repsonsibility in the role he is playing to play close attention and check without waiting for those signs?

Of course, all of this assuming that the bottom also has full responsibility for recognizing and indicating when there is distress. The liklihood of the bottom being unable to do this vs the Top is greater however, just due to the nature of the bottom's role (my point).

sarah
Old 12-20-2006, 04:10 PM

"Should a Top just spank away, assuming everything is ok, unless the bottom shows obvious signs of distress, or until a blatant safeword is uttered? Or is it his repsonsibility in the role he is playing to play close attention and check without waiting for those signs?"

FYI, great discussion topic Sarah. An important one as well.

I would definitely say "YES it's the Top's responsibility to pay as close attention to what he's doing as possible. Sloppy technique is unacceptable, and hammering away like a jackhammer without regard to the spankee's reactions is equally unacceptable."
Old 12-20-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVelvet007 View Post
Sloppy technique is unacceptable, and hammering away like a jackhammer without regard to the spankee's reactions is equally unacceptable."
Are we still talking about spanking here

Ok, ok, sorry, sorry........ I'm leaving!! (HD backs out of the door slowly)

Rich
Old 12-20-2006, 06:41 PM

In the context of the question asked, I think that the burden of responsibility shifts heavily to the Top. The bottom should do her part, of course, but the Top, who is in primary control, has the responsibility for ensuring that everything is ok and good. He needs to do everything that Sarah said: talk to the bottom beforehand, tell her what he does and what he's like, ask her what she wants and what he needs to know about her, set a safeword into place. He needs to pay close attention, listen to sounds and words, listen to the "emotional" condition, and more. While I don't align with J7's opinion that a spanking should never cause serious pain (I think it should cause whatever the spankee wants it to cause, including serious), I do think that the Top needs to ensure that he doesn't go beyond that.

When it comes to responsibility, it's Top, TOP, TOP!

Stand up to your responsibility, guys!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Windsor View Post
Are we still talking about spanking here

Ok, ok, sorry, sorry........ I'm leaving!! (HD backs out of the door slowly)

Rich
YOU didn't answer the question, noodle arm!

Actually, Rich, the scene I was describing of the Top whispering in a bottom's ear while spanking her was YOU! I distinctly remember seeing you do it with several brats (who you didn't know well) you had over your lap and realizing afterwards that what pleased so many of the bottoms were the Tops taking great care and responsibility to ensure they were still doing alright.

Of course, hitting me on my upper tailbone with a strap wasn't exactly perceptive. (I'll never let you live that one down)

**disclaimer** (for the record, someone else was actually spanking me and Rich thought he'd be funny and add another arm to it - only he added his non-primary arm with a back-arm swing to a VERY wiggly target, causing me to expel the F word quite loudly as RG walked by only minutes after telling me I was not to use that word again )

sarah