MySpankingForum.com  

Go Back   myspankingforum.com Forums > Forum List > Main Forum

Old 06-12-2007, 05:16 PM

How submissive is submissive?

I was just writing in my last post some things and they seemed odd for a "bottom", so I am going to write them here and see what kind of response I get. I'm sure there is no "wrong".

Anyway, my thought is that I am a fairly liberated woman. I want an equal relationship, and I wouldn't want anyone in control of me, in the usual sense. I could never do "discipline"-- unless I could do it back (which I probably wouldn't anyway). Anyway, I tend to think words and speech are better, my opinion. I could "play discipline" as long as I could establish perimeters. For instance, say if I called him a "big dumb ass" or somethign I wouldn't normally say. Or we'd establish some minor infraction-- such as coming in late without calling. (I might get VERY late.) And then within that establish what could and wouldn't be done. I have never done this all, so I consider this quite theoretical, but what the heck.

I'm sure that from some people's standpoint here this is really odd. :-)
But to me, if someone establishes what would be good for me, it would not, to me, be an adult relationship. I wouldn't, for instance, consider that the male necessarily knows better or is better behaved than i am. In fact, usually males aren't!! (Sorry guys.) I am not making judgments on whatever works for you. If it works and you are happy with it, well more power to you.

I might sort of a wannabe submissive?

--liz
Old 06-12-2007, 06:23 PM

There are many definitions and degrees of submission, Liz. At the risk of taking labels too seriously, I adamantly refer to myself as "a bottom, NOT a submissive." That is not to say I can't be submissive, but that is not my natural state of being.

To me, submission is something that is earned with trust and caring, not demanded. I am naturally rebellious and feisty, and I'd rather challenge a top than obey him. But if he has the patience (and the sense of humor) to deal with me in the right way, I can find myself in a much softer and compliant place.

You're correct in saying there really is no "wrong." There's only opinions and personal preferences. Whatever works for you is what's right for you. -- Erica
Old 06-12-2007, 10:34 PM

Location: Lincoln is buried here...google it and find the city
Lots of these beautiful ladies here started as wannabe subs. Just be careful, but most guys here very trustworthy.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paully62 View Post
Lots of these beautiful ladies here started as wannabe subs. Just be careful, but most guys here very trustworthy.
Very good observation Phil.....and i second, third and fourth there are lots of untrustworthy men and women out there so we all have to be careful, but when you find that one if you find that one...damn it is good!

Check out my newly updated blog! Click the picture above.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post

Anyway, my thought is that I am a fairly liberated woman. I want an equal relationship, and I wouldn't want anyone in control of me, in the usual sense. I could never do "discipline"-- ..... Anyway, I tend to think words and speech are better, my opinion. I could "play discipline" as long as I could establish perimeters. For instance, say if I called him a "big dumb ass" or somethign I wouldn't normally say. Or we'd establish some minor infraction-- such as coming in late without calling. (I might get VERY late.) And then within that establish what could and wouldn't be done. I have never done this all, so I consider this quite theoretical, but what the heck.

I'm sure that from some people's standpoint here this is really odd. :-)
But to me, if someone establishes what would be good for me, it would not, to me, be an adult relationship. I wouldn't, for instance, consider that the male necessarily knows better or is better behaved than i am. In fact, usually males aren't!! (Sorry guys.) I am not making judgments on whatever works for you. If it works and you are happy with it, well more power to you.

I might sort of a wannabe submissive?

--liz
Wow! What a loaded post! lol.

I may get a bit long winded here guys - so bare with me.

When you say
Quote:

Anyway, my thought is that I am a fairly liberated woman. I want an equal relationship, and I wouldn't want anyone in control of me, in the usual sense.
...it makes me wonder what your perceptions are of a discipline relationship. Or rather, a relationship which encompasses discipline, as RG's and mine does.What does "in the usual sense" mean? Is your perception of a relationship that has discipline in it based on stories and entries you have seen online?

I believe that DD (domestic discipline) is largely misunderstood and misperceived.

It seems to me that many who form views on DD and what it is have never actually lived the lifestyle or seen a DD relationship that was actually everyday partner oriented rather than one based simply on online communications that eventually culminate in occasional plane trips across the country for a day of reckoning.

You have to keep in mind when forming opinions on how others implement their DD lifestyle based on what you learn from online forums that many people reading, and yes even writing, have no actual experience in living any kind of spanking lifestyle, much less living the lifestyle of DD. They get their information from fantasy story boards and thus form their opinions based on fantasy punishment stories.

Stories/experiences shared by those actually living a day to day life with a DD partner are extremely rare to find. What is actually shared from these individuals is usually a small snippet of life related to the lifestyle itself and does not adequately show what day to day life in a 24/7 DD relationship is actually like. Know why? Cuz everyone would be bored to tears.

I know of only a few couples who live everyday DD in the same household. From my own experience as one of these people, I have to say that the misperceptions are many. RG does not have a list of rules hanging up in our house. RG does not constantly look to find any infraction to have a reason to punish me. RG does not order me about, (altho anyone knowing us knows that I do the ordering about *snicker*) or monitor my daily activities, or punish me if housework isn't done, or dictate a time schedule for me, or make my everyday decisions.

RG doesn't "control" me. He is my protector. He spoils me beyond belief. He rubs my feet, brings me coffee and pampers me. In everyday life, we are boringly vanilla. There are few guidelines that I must adhere to. They largely deal with my own willpower in certain areas. I respond to outside accountability to specific behaviors that I want to control but lack the immediate willpower to do so when faced with it. This is my choice. You indicate that you could do it in a limited fashion if you could "establish perimeters". Most discipline relationships have perimeters established from the beginning-- and those perimeters are established by the couple themselves and not just someone "establishing what is good for you" on their own. Remember, subs in a relationship are getting a need met by the type of the relationship they have chosen to be in and, if the Dom is to meet those needs, he must communicate and listen and nurture and not simply be controlling the situation just because he can, as it seems.

You are a "liberated woman" you say. I have a strong personality and am not short on opinions (ask RG - or anyone else who knows me) Liberating, for me, is not having to fight my demons alone but to have someone there who will be an actual part of me to help in the way that I respond to best. And not everyone responds to the same relationship styles.

Accountability is implemented differently in each situation. You may prefer no 'real' authority in your accountability -- others prefer that their accountability be more than just a reminder and actually include consequence. I am one of those who have a mix of the two -- some light guidelines and reminders can make me choose the right thing in a weak moment - but knowing a consequence is there to back it up helps make sticking to that decision much more ---- ummm, appealing.

Discipline is not about punishment. It's about guidance. There is no one person who knows every and all things - of course not. In my DD relationship, we are equal. Equal value as people, our partnership is fairly equal. Authority is not equal - but my relinquishing of that to RG was not done lightly. It was done after knowing and experiencing that he valued me and respected me and, in his "governing" over me, the intent was to guide and protect. It was a process and a growing and a mutual decision to make.

This may not work for some, and maybe that's where the issue for you is at. For me, I find that a liberating submission is one I operate best under.

The "discipline" helps to guide and encouarge me (there is a difference in discipline and punishment) and the "punishment" is meant to deter me from those things that may harm me, or the well being of my relationships. I desire discipline -- I do not desire punishment. But I do enjoy the benefit that comes from the combination of the two, and that is a much higher sense of security in myself and my own choices and motivation, something I have struggled with in my other adult relationships.

Thanks for reading - if you made it this far!

sarah

Last edited by sarah thorne; 06-13-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:17 AM

This may seem an odd comment, but thanks for getting long winded Sarah (who ever thought you'd hear that one huh? )

It is hard to get a true slice of real DD....I know I am one that has read about it and talked a few with those that live it on a day to day basis, but still can't get a full grasp on the concept as a whole as I've never experienced it myself so any tidbit of information such as your post is a welcome source of information to me.

Check out my newly updated blog! Click the picture above.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:53 PM

Great reply Sarah. Very enlightning.
When I have control of you.

-Puddle of Mudd - Blurry
Old 06-13-2007, 04:06 PM

Exclamation

Yeah, what Sarah said

OK, grab a seat....

While I may use "sub" or "submissive" occasionally I use those words liberally. The girls I was with were spankees but far from true subs at all, although they had some tendencies. I also use "dom" or "dominant" loosely for the same reasons.

I am a dom or top. I happen to be a spanker. I don't enjoy being spanked, or rather it doesn't do anything for me. Physically, emotionally and mentally I ignore pain (I send my mind somewhere else or go inside a ball) and even being hit with a paddle, strap, cane etc (short of somebody going insane on me) would be hard to bring to a level I didn't "float away" from.

Every now and then I'll mention "points". My spanking relationships were mostly based on a "naughty points" system if you will. Both myself and the other person I was with agreed upon everything to do with this. Some things could "earn" a spanking and other times there were several smaller things that added together for a spanking. It was never real points like "you got 5 points for breaking a dish" or anything like that, it was just misbehavior kept track of. It was all discussed before a punishment took place and generally agreed that she had misbehaved and deserved a spanking. Sometimes she would "tell on" herself and tell me she thought she deserved a spanking. In this matter though, I had the "final word".

I use "final word" liberally also and I think that everyone here would agree that it's not Supreme Court Decision final. For example I never had a girl break up with me and said "That's bad and you're getting spanked.". I don't think anybody on here with the final word would try to spank someone who seriously and emphatically said "No!". I mean those who get spanked on here may say "Damn I got spanked with the bathbrush earlier and it stung like mad" but nobody comes on and says "I got beat with a brush earlier today and i'm scared, what should I do? He/she might be coming back, should I call the police?". If that were the case it would move from our world in to the range of assault/domestic violence.

I've met submissive girls in the true sense who wanted me to tell them what to wear, what to eat, who they could talk to, etc. I'm naturally dominant and I'm used to having to be in charge or take over in a crisis, and while I may enjoy some small dom things (like "making" my GF hand me her panties at a restaraunt when she's wearing a skirt ) I want a partner to share with, not someone I'm truly in complete control of. I enjoy my part of the power exchange, but my partner has to enjoy their part at least as much or it will never work. I couldn't be happy with someone who did this for me, but didn't enjoy it. Having "power" over some things can be a turn on for me, but I never want to dominate someones will.

I'm a spanker yes, but anybody that truly knows me also knows that I never have and never will hit a woman out of anger. I won't even spank if I'm angry. I am completely against domestic assault weather it's emotional, mental or physical. In this case I would never spank someone "against their will". This is something that has to be between both parties.

I think "our kink" has to have fantasy on both parts for it to exist. I don't think anybody here is battered or a batterer. So while some may go farther than others, it's still in the fantasy world. The people here are still functional and (mostly ) rational and whether top or bottom have something they share with a partner. So whether it's a "need" or just a "want" it's something enjoyed or at least comforting on some level to all of us.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:55 PM

Mike that was an excellent and clarifying post. I definitely do not see anyone here as abusers!! And if the person didn't want to stay they wouldn't.

It does seem to me that some people are out of the "play" behavior and this is more serious in the sense that the believe it helps them in some way to be a better person. But I have never confused this with being nonconsensual. Perhaps in the details it might be, but it is still consensual in the way that they have and continue to hold the relationship.

Yes I see this as a trade off of being in control to some extent. Not just of the spankee. I think this is what is highly confusing to vanillas.

Someone told me to be careful. Well yes, I am way way way careful. Since I have only one time been in any relationship that had any amt of spanking in it. Most guys I have met believe it is wrong-- I think even though (and perhaps partly because) I like it.

--liz
Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Mike that was an excellent and clarifying post. I definitely do not see anyone here as abusers!! And if the person didn't want to stay they wouldn't.

Someone told me to be careful. Well yes, I am way way way careful. Since I have only one time been in any relationship that had any amt of spanking in it. Most guys I have met believe it is wrong-- I think even though (and perhaps partly because) I like it.

--liz
There are always odd balls and crazies, but for the most part spankos are just spankos. And it is important to be careful and safe. In a couple situation everything has to be agreed upon, if there are "set rules and behavior" for the spankee there has to be for the spanker as well or the whole thing will never be a "functional" spanking relationship. I've been in many vanilla relationships with women who had no interest in spanking even when i brought it up to them and so no spanking ever happened. I would never spank or dominate someone against their will nor would I tolerate it if I knew about it.

On a personal note.... I have never and will never be physically abusive to a woman. I'm offended by the very idea of that happening and can tell you that as a former Law Enforcement Officer I will step in without hesitation and put a stop to any domestic abuse I see, even at personal risk or the danger of arrest. That was a difficult part for me to get past, but that's all stuff that I had to deal with on a personal level. There are lines that can never be crossed and again it all has to be about understanding; comfort and, more importantly, trust between the spanker and spankee.

If the right conditions don't exist the two people need to find others that are more i tune with their needs / desires.