View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 05:41 PM

Hello again, Julie buns husband here, in response to Redskins comment, I have to say that although I actually witnessed these events myself I sometimes have been sceptical of some accounts I have read, usually because of the age of the student involved. Some additional facts concerning my post are as follows: the spankings described at my first elementary school occured in about 1961 or 62, the boy was in my class, 2nd grade. The 2 girls were younger and I did not know them, they would have been 1st graders. It was a very large school in a large urban area. I never saw any kids spanked in the classroom, in that instance you got sent to the principal and those spankings at least for little kids were bare bottomed. I don't know about bigger kids, the school went to sixth grade. The 2nd school I attended I diddn"t know any kids who got spanked but it happened, but only rarely. The whole process was described in detail by my 3rd grade teacher to our class, no doubt to scare us straight and try to make us think twice before acting up. She said it was bare bottomed, over the principals lap with a ping pong paddle until you cried hard. Of a spanking she had witnessed she said "I never saw such a bright red little bottom in my life". The fact that at least the spanking was private I concidered a step up from my last school where they had at times been public. None the less I watched my step. In Jr High and High School swats were common place and given out to someone probably almost daily. The most you could recieve at once was 5, but 1 or 2 was the norm. General mischif would get you one, fighting was 2 for both parties reguardless of who started it, a spitwad was worth 2 and those are the ones I can remember the swats for specific offense. You could trade one hour detention for one swat, so three hours was three swats, etc. Girls would generally be offered detention or swats, her choice, and many would elect for the paddle. All office paddleings were over cloths. Gym clothes for boys were a thin maroon cotton shorts with white T shirt, for girls they wore a one piece light blue suit, short legged and short sleeved that snapped up the front to an open collar, it was thin like a cotton shirt would be. If they felt you needed extra effect you would be called in during PE as these garments offered zero protection for the recepiants butt. A girl wearing a skirt to short to bend over in would be told she would be summoned during PE for her swats as well. A girl being swatted required a female witness, but a boy would have either sex witness. The only teachers who could swat you were PE teachers and once in awhile that was bare assed ( in the gym building only, not outside). PE was segregated. Sometimes in gym if there was more than 2 recipiants they would line them up at double arms interval on the field and walk down the line swatting each butt in turn. One time we were lucky enough to see 7 girls lined up along the first row of bleachers bent over, their PE teacher, a strong rather muscular woman giving each one a well placed hard swat in turn. Most all yelped loud at the impact. They had all been getting suited up to slowly for many days and finally their coach delt with it that way, I can assure you it was the big topic for many days. In the office the swats were given by the vice principal, always a man, and they were good at their skills as the official butt swatter. Julie and I have lots of stories on this subject for a latter time, I'm sure you will find them all very entertaining! Additional note, the girls lined up and swatted were in the 7th grade, Jr High was 7-9, High school was 10-12.