View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunstinger View Post
We've found that using handwriting (i.e. no typed labels) on plain padded mailers (the kind they sell at Staples) seems to work best. Additionally, we only print the volume number and not the program title on our DVD surfaces.
On the one hand, it's a call, obviously, for spanking sites in general to ratchet up the ability to sell and download all lengths of videos via online means. That poses a challenge for DVD material, since many would want to watch it that way, but that's part of figuring out the challenge.

That still leaves a revenue stream (from the business side) and a service (from the customer side) out (i.e. mail order sales). So I think that BS is on to the right answer. It might be a little more work but I think that going to an all-vanilla mailing/labeling system is the next best answer. I wouldn't just make it generic, though (i.e. volume number). That will soon become a flag which will stand out pretty clearly. I would go with full misdirection. Label the DVD's as something benignly commercial, such as "Vacation Guide to Yosemite National Park," with an appropriate DVD art background. A volume number on that would make sense, and communication with the customer up front would make sure they know what to look for.