Thread: Safewords
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the replies!

To be honest, I am actually surprised at the amount of people who agree with me! On other boards, there are those who stress that, regardless of who is involved in play, safewords are a MUST in case of emergency. Then they usually go on to state that any Top/Dom against one isn't really looking out for the bottom and go into a myriad of 'what if' scenarios that could chase someone away from ever playing again!

I've heard stories of Doms refusing to stop cuz the bottom didn't say the safeword just exactly right (i.e., they yelled "Pineapples" inside of "Pineapple") - but it is my opinion that these Doms were probably arrogant assholes to begin with....

I digress.

I am of the mentality of aurora -- I could yell out 'the cuffs are cutting into my wrists!' as easily, and probably easier, than remembering 'pineapple'.

I can tell you, that even when playing with someone who does not know me well, I have NO problem with letting them know in no uncertain terms that it's time to stop, if it is. (Of course, being a committed sub to RG, deciding when it's time to stop is not a luxury I have ) I don't need to say "pineapple" to get that across -- as a matter of fact, it seems that the ridiculous words some people use would psychologically give the impression to the bottom that IF you did indeed use the word when something was wrong, that it's somehow 'silly'. Does that make sense?

In the argument FOR mandatory use of safewords in every situation regardless of how well you know someone, I have heard that sometimes in subspace or such that communicating to your Top that something is wrong would be hard and therefore a safeword will come in handy. I would actually think, that recalling a word unrelated to the situation (pineapple) and which you rarely utter even in an appropriate context, would be MUCH harder.

Am I beating a dead horse?

Which brings me to my next thought.....perhaps I will start another thread!

sarah