Thread: Movie Woes
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 05:57 PM

Movie Woes

Ok, so, maybe it was a dumb idea.

Maybe we shouldn’t have done it, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. But now, standing on the sidelines, watching in horror as the white goopy mess landed directly in the middle of the broad chest, splattering those standing near, it occurred to me that it really was a DUMB thing to do. Glancing quickly around for my partner in crime, Rachel, I briefly caught sight of her ducking down the alley.

Oh, sure, I thought, rats deserting the sinking ship.

My brain sent a message to my feet…RUN! Good, at least my ability for rational thought has returned, I thought as I took off running in the opposite direction that Rachel went. I heard people yelling as I put some distance between the crowd and me. Things like, “Someone stop her!” and “Who was that?”. I was hoping, as I raced around a corner, that my disguise, hastily put together at the last minute, would protect me from being recognized.

I no longer heard the shouting but I wasn’t about to stop and take a look to see if I was being followed. I was getting tired and I noticed an open doorway to an apartment building, so I ducked inside to rest. After what seemed like an eternity, but was really only ten minutes according to my watch, I peeked out to see if the coast was clear. Breathing a sigh of relief, I started walking back towards the parking lot where my car was, and slipping unnoticed into my car, I started it up and drove home.

Never again would I go along with one of Rachel’s hair brained schemes, I thought, knowing I probably would anyways.
Rachel was a lot of fun to be around. She took chances that weren’t really dangerous but could end up getting one in trouble, especially if one has a boyfriend who doesn’t see the humor in our little games.

I pulled into my driveway and clicked the button for the garage door. While I waited for it to open, (these things can be so slow sometimes), I mentally went over the story I was to tell Nathan if he asked what Rachel and I did that night. Parking the car, I got out, retrieved my stash of “normal” clothes and did a quick change that would have made Houdini smile. Hiding my “disguise” in the little used beer fridge, I went into the house. Sure enough, there was Nathan, on the couch, watching the news and sipping on his customary Coca Cola.

“Hi sweetie” I chimed as I headed to the kitchen to get a drink. As well, I splashed some cold water on my face just to make sure I wasn’t flustered. I grabbed a glass and poured some milk before I went into the living room.

Sitting down on the couch, I hadn’t noticed that Nathan didn’t say hi back until he turned to look at me and I saw something in his eyes that made me a little nervous. Had he found out what we did? I thought. But no, he couldn't have already, and besides, no one knew who it was, so I was safe. I tried to think back on everything I had done the last week to try and figure out why Nathan was looking at me with his “you are in such big trouble little missy” look. Those oh so familiar butterflies started doing their "Dance of the Seventh Level of heck" in my stomach as I asked him what was wrong. Without batting an eyelash, he asked...

“So, did you and Rachel have fun tonight?”

“Oh, yeah, we had a ball” I said.

“What did you gals decide to do?” he asked.

“Well, “ I started saying, “we thought about going to a movie, then when we got there, we realized that it was the premier of that new action flick, and we didn’t want to be stuck in that crowd, so we went to get a bite to eat then did a little shopping.”

“Really?” he asked.

Now it was getting a little hard to catch my breath. He knows something, I thought, but what? I decided to play innocent a bit longer until I could wheedle some clue out of him and then maybe I could “confess” and get those extra points for leinency.

“So, what did you do while I was gone, hon?” I asked him.

Turning back to the television, he turned the volume up a bit, which rather puzzled me, but I wasn’t about to question it.

“Oh, I’ve been sitting here watching the news.” he said.

“All night?” I asked.

“Well, no” he said, “I was watching a movie when Brad called me up to tell me to check out channel 4. Seems they were doing coverage on some event that was taking place and he thought I might find it interesting.”

Wrinkling my brow, I tried to figure out what he was getting at, but for the life of me, I couldn’t guess what was bothering him. “Oh?” was all I could think of. Pretty lame, I know but when one is trying to stay calm, vocabulary just isn’t on “the most important things to remember” list for me. He turned again and looked me straight in the eyes, (I hate when he does that).

“Yes,” he said “it seems there was a bit of excitement at the movie premier tonight. I guess it’s a good thing you didn’t decide to stay there.”

All of a sudden, I became aware of what was being said on the TV. darn darn darn…how could I forget something like camera crews covering the event??

“Uh, uh... Listen, Nate...I can explain…” I stammered.

“Explain? Is there something you need to tell me?” he asked in his “there’s no point in lying to me any more little girl” voice. That’s when I knew, just KNEW, I was in BIG trouble.

“You know, it’s pretty late, and you have to be at the studio early.” I said, hoping I could delay what I knew was coming next; “We can talk when you come home from work.” I ventured.

“Oh, we’ll do more than talk, my dear.” he huffed. “As a matter of fact, I think I will start our…. discussion…. tonight…and finish it up when I come home.”

“Nate, you don’t understand…” I started to whine, but he held up his hand and I decided that it would be in my best interest to be quiet then. It was during these times that I wished I hadn’t agreed to let him be the HOH. My penchant for getting in to trouble was just too great and I couldn't seem to resist a good caper. But when measured against the penalty my bottom always paid for it, I mentally kicked myself in the rear. If only that was the only contact…

to be continued(its too long for one post)