View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 07:50 PM

I think that people taking being "outed" too seriously, and are hurting the kink indirectly by doing so. Only by being open about our interests will the public at large even learn to accept what we do as a safe and sane activity. By hiding in the closets and dark corners, we exile ourselves to those recesses and out of the public's eye, thinking we're safe. However, hiding is what makes us seem like freaks, and that's the way that the world is going to view us.

This was the same for the homosexual community. Years ago, people would hide their sexuality for fear of being "outed" and have their lives ruined. Well, some homosexuals started to be more outspoken and in the public's eye. As people started to see that they were normal people, with just a different sexual perspective, they became accepted. Now, a person doesn't have to fear repercussions of revealing their sexuality. That progress wouldn't have come about if homosexuals continued to lurk in the shadows.

So, what makes us any different? Why must we put up a facade to those closest to us for fear of how they'll react? If homosexuality can be proclaimed without being reviled automatically, then why not spanking and other aspects of BDSM? Education is the first step to acceptance, and we can't educate the masses by wearing a mask. I, for one, am proud of my interests, and choose to not hide my true self from anyone. It will be those that are open about our kink, like myself, that will eventually earn acceptance for spankos.

If you're not a part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.