View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 06:56 PM

The basic reason for aftercare is to soothe the bottom after a spanking or related scene has started to wear on them either physically or mentally. This could simply be tending to bruising and abrasion, or it could be a form of reassurance to the bottom that everything is alright. To be quite frank, this is one of the best indicators to a bottom that you even give a damn about them.

Aftercare could also be in reaction to possible sub drop after an intense scene. After a prolonged or hard session, a bottom might be in "subspace," which is an endorphin rush triggered by the pain of the spanking. However, like most drugs, when the high is gone, it's often followed by a depressive low. This is often identified by low blood pressure, coldness of the extremities, cramps, and a generally depressed demeanor. In cases like this, aftercare becomes even more essential.

For basic cuts and bruises, keeping a simple first aid kit in your toybag is advisable. This should include small bandages or "liquid skin," antiseptic sprays or wipes, and lotions or creams to heal the skin.

If the skin breaks during play, stop immediately and tend to the abrasions or cuts with antiseptic, and then cover them. Depending on the seriousness of the injury, play may or may not be able to continue.

For bruises, there are several products on the market to speed healing. Arnica is by far my favorite, and I've never gone wrong when I put my trust in my tube of arnica. I've seen many a bottom that was just about played out on the first night of a party, but came back strong the next day after a late night arnica rub from me. These ladies often showed their appreciation by taking a turn over my lap, so I never leave for a party without a couple of tubes of arnica. Shea butter is also good for quick healing. Aloe vera works to a degree, but can irritate and dry out sore or raw skin.

Of course, you can't apply these lotions without rubbing the bottom, which is another important aspect to aftercare. Aside from the obvious benefit of rubbing in lotion, this constant contact reminds the bottom that you're there and taking care of her. (I use female pronouns for bottoms, and male pronouns for Tops. This isn't gender discrimination, but simply the way that I'm most accustomed.) If a bottom is starting to feel the depression of sub drop, being reminded that they're being cared for will stop feelings of inadequacy and being unwanted that usually accompany sub drop. It wouldn't be uncalled for to also massage the back, arms and legs. This would further reassure the bottom that she is being cared for. Also, if she is experiencing any coldness of the extremities, such a massage will assist her circulation and prevent cramps.

If bruising is extensive or knotted, then deeply massaging the bruised areas will break up blood clots under the skin, helping the bruises to soften.

In case of dehydration after intense play, keep some liquids handy. Sports drinks work best for this, but soda is a good second choice because it replaces lost electrolytes and the sugar gives an extra energy kick to get her circulation going again until she can eat or drink something more substantive. If nothing else is available, cool water, not cold, will at least replenish her fluids.

Hugging and cuddling after a scene is another common method of reassuring the bottom that she's being cared for. Even after a short play spanking, a quick hug will remind everyone that it's all in good fun and no harm was done.

Above all else, if the person that you played with seems that she might need something, ask her what that might be. Just the act of asking, in itself, is a form of aftercare because it reminds her that you're thinking of her best interests.